So you are reading this because you are wondering what should you child wear during a Cake Smash photoshoot ?
Well, I find that most of my families will come to me with an idea, or colour in mind and pick something they fall in love with something from my small, range of birthday props and decorations that match their idea. I then suggest complementary backdrops, props and decorations to suit to bring the whole birthday theme together so you have a personalised photoshoot set for your baby’s first birthday celebration portraits. My main is not to have two identical photoshoots ever!
We then spend some time thinking about outfits and the cake. I’ve writte another blog post on choosing a cake which you can read here on a bespoke handmade one.
All that is then left to decide is what your baby is going to wear. I have a little selection of outfits for boys and girls available in my studio, for you to choose from, covering the most popular birthday theme colours. But of course, this is one of those areas where you may wish you bring your baby’s own clothes and pick a special outfit for the photo session, yourself.
My cakesmash sessions consist of three parts - portraits before the cake comes out, photos of the cake being devoured and smashed, and images once your baby is in a shallow tub of water and bubbles cleaning off the cake and mess. Because of this, you can choose up to two different outfits if you want to. Sometimes my families will pick a favourite dress or birthday party outfit for the pre-cake portraits and then choose a different outfit for the cake smash part itself. If you opt for a different outfit pre-cakesmash, then just be sure to consider how the colours will suit the overall theme we’ve designed.
For the actual cakesmash outfit here’s a few tips to take into consideration:
- Avoid any outfits with writings and or logos
- Girls often wear tutu style skirts or pretty nappy cover bloomers, with accessories like pearl necklaces and hair bands with flowers or bows.
- Boys often wear nappy cover bloomers or (denim) shorts complemented with braces, bow ties or ties.
- Do you want your baby’s skin / body to be on show in the photos during the bath? If not, then I can provide cute swimming costumes for this part of the session.
- Babies don’t wear shoes or socks for any part of the session, so that's one thing you don't need to plan for.
- If your baby doesn’t mind accessories in their hair, then it can be fun to add pieces like birthday hats and hair bands.